Thursday, September 20, 2012

Jamie Wells: The Best Kind Of Fitness Goal Changed Her Life



I started this journey for many reasons----to lose weight prior to my big 30th birthday, to get healthy, to gain confidence, but most importantly to be an example for my daughter. (Robin here--- to me this is my FAVORITE reason to get healthy yet!!) I wanted to start living a healthy lifestyle, making fitness a priority in hopes that she would follow my lead.


I have lost 27lbs. and have gone from a size 12 to a size 7!! The last time I was this small was in high school!!



HOW SHE DID IT

This "healthy lifestyle" was all new to me.
I began reading everything I could get my hands on about health and fitness, following blogs and searching for healthier recipes.  I was determined to do this. 

At work one day, I was casually talking to a co-worker and she invited me to Burn and Chisel Class at UCA.  She told me all about the class and how it was taught by this amazing trainer, Robin Dayer. (Robin again---no, i can just here some of you now, I did not tell her to say this).  I told my co -worker without hesitation "send me the link, I am signing up today!" That was the day my journey began.  I stopped talking and wishing I could be healthy and took action to make it happen!

I absolutely loved the class!!! That was the first time I had worked out since high school....13 years.  It was TOUGH.  I couldn't even do a push up or hold a plank.  At times, I wanted to quit but instead I repeated Robin's quote to myself.  "Don't quit! You are already in pain.  You're already hurting, Get a REWARD from it!"  After the class ended, I immediately signed up for another one, and then another.  Eventually I went from working out 2 days a week to 4 days.  I started noticing changes in my body---I had more muscle tone and was much stronger!!

After class one day, my daughter asked "When will you be done exercising?"  I had to emphasize that this is a way of life, that I will continue to work out forever.  I talked to her about the importance of self-care.  We started working out together on days I wasn't training with Robin---playing basketball, riding bikes, going hiking etc... She then asked me to start running with her and we instantly began to share a passion and became connected on a whole new level. One of my proudest moments was the day we completed our first 5k!!!


 
(Seriously, this one photo makes my heart smile, the absolute entire reason I do what I do for a living!)


JAMIE'S ADVICE


I, for one, love working out and especially LOVE the way I feel after an intense workout.  What I struggle with most is eating clean.  I learned the hard way that I can't out exercise a bad diet!  I am slowly getting better---huge baby steps!  I completely gave up regular cokes which is a huge accomplishment for me.  I am much more conscious of the foods that I serve my family.  I actually feel like a super mom when I cook a healthy meal for my family and we all sit down at the table together.

I also recommend that everyone have a workout buddy.  I couldn't have stayed on track without my friends Karla and Nakisha.  They have been in class with me since day one.  They inspire me with their kind words of encouragement and high fives. There were many days that I just wanted to go home and skip class but I didn't because I felt accountable to them.  Not only do they keep me on track but they make the work outs more fun!  We started the journey as co-workers, but have become best friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment